Monday, December 16, 2013

Faux Snow.

I love a good flocked wreath!  It's just so fun and wintery and kitcshy.  Especially in Southern California.  Over the years I tried various teqniques to get the effect I was looking for.  I tried the flocking that comes in a can.  Total flakey mess.  I tried cotton batting.  Too bunchy and webbish.

Then, last year, I googled "diy flocking" and came upon several posts that had a recipe using grated ivory soap and spray starch from a can.  I modified slightly using the following ingredients:

1 bar ivory soap, grated on the large holes on a box grater


1/2 cup spray starch. I used this kind:





















1/4 cup hot tap water.

Put everything in a large bowl and mix using a hand mixer. 





































Mix for a minute or two until you have something that resembles soft butter~like when you over mix whipping cream and it gets almost clumpy


 I decided to flock an old wreath I've had in storage that I spray flocked a few years ago.  It's perfectly good wreath, just a dusty mess from the spray.  I tapped off as much of the dust as possible and wiped it down with a towel and was left with a slightly sage colored wreath which I really liked.  Then I propped it up outside and started the dabbing of faux snow. 


 You definitely want to do this outdoors or on a large tarp because this part gets really messy.   Last year when I did this I was totally perplexed about how to go about creating realistic looking snow. After a few tries I found my 2 favorite techniques:


 Dabbing:


Patting:









No comments:

Post a Comment