Here is a peek at the look I'm going for:
I love it so much. It has everything going for it. Great lines and classic details like button tufting.
I've got a long way to go from where I started: A mattress and a wood frame box spring with a saggy cover.
This is what the box spring looks like with the cover removed. I added feet to the corners and under the center for stability and some height.
My plan was to cover the sides and legs with a layer of batting and then
upholster over that. That turned out not to be a great idea since it didn't prop up the batting and fabric enough and it looked like it would dip between the supports. This totally deflated my progress for a few months while I tried to figure out an easy, cheap solution.
My neighbor had some pegboard scraps and offered to cut them to to make the sides a bit more of a solid foundation for the upholstery. It was the perfect solution. And Free!
Come back soon and check out the progress!